Sunday, August 14, 2011

Dirt!

Yesterday was a gardening bust, but this morning I hit the ground running! (heehee) Before breakfast, before emptying the dishwasher, before COFFEE, Butter Bean and I went out to the garden. He hung out quietly in his bouncy seat and I pulled weeds with a vengence. Very satisfying! I got one 8'x8' bed weeded before he decided we were done.

Notes about that bed:


  • This is the first year that I didn't have volunteer basil, dill, cilantro and tarragon.

  • The mint escaped its pot. I'm not sure yet if I care.

  • I pulled up the 2 kale .... trees. The things were HUGE. But today I noticed a baby kale plant. I hope it survives the trauma of extreme weeding.

  • I'm not sure what to do about the oregano. It's taking over the bed! It started out as a tiny little transplant and is now about 3 square feet and growing. I need to experiment with harvesting it at different stages, to see if it's edible, whenever.

I can't decide whether my next step will be to get the other bed weeded, or to go ahead and dig in a couple wheelbarrow-loads of compost into the first one and get some seeds in today. Decisions, decisions.


There's plenty of other stuff I need to get to today, too. I need to SWEEP. Again. And a good mopping would make me feel so much better about things. Laundry. Muffins. More laundry.


So much of my life revolves around dirt. Digging in it. Moving it. Sweeping it. Washing it out of clothes. I have to say, it's pretty fun stuff when it's OUTSIDE. Too much damn work when it comes inside. If only I could convince Pumpkin of that. *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment